I love cornbread, and it is so very simple to make. It is lovely with chili or served with soups or stews.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Preheat oven to 3350F. Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Beat the egg, and stir the milk into it, then add to the flour mixture and mix thoroughly. Add the melted butter. Scrape into an 8 x 8 greased cake pan and bake for 30 minutes.
Variations. I like this as is…but some people like it as a dessert with butter and jam, and some like to alter it a bit.
1) You can cover the batter with a layer of sliced apples, topped with a sprinkling of 2 tablespoons sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon
2) You can add a 1/4 cup chopped, cooked bacon to the mixture
3) You can add 1/2 cup of corn kernels to the mixture
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?