I like beets in a salad. I had a very nice one with cheese, beets and hazelnuts in one of the local restaurants lately. However, I bought a very large back of walnuts at Costco the other day, and I fancied using them in my supper tonight.
Beet and Walnut Salad (for two)
- 2 cups salad greens (I used romaine)
- 1/2 cup cooked beets (I used golden and red)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts (baked at 350 for about 6 minutes)
- 2-3 tablespoons goat cheese (or crumbled blue cheese)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
You can cook beets in about 40 minutes if you peel and slice them, drizzle a bit of oil and some salt on them, wrap them in aluminum foil and bake at 450F.
I find it very easy to mix oil and vinegar in a small jar, and shake it before pouring over the salad. You can also add herbs, such as oregano or basil and salt and pepper to the mix.
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?