When you are pressed for time, quite often you neglect to feed
yourself, and then try to grab a coffee and doughnut or a fast food breakfast sandwich a bit later in the morning. Those options are okay on occasion, but are not healthy options in the long term. They usually are higher in calories, and often do not have much in the way of protein, so you feel hungry again fairly soon. They are also quite addictive, and you can get trapped in a repeating cycle (think Groundhog Day) where you make this into a routine.
There are several quick breakfast options at home which can save you money and time. These breakfast meals in a hurry can include some of the following:
1) toast a slice of whole wheat or fibre rich bread and spread with peanut butter or cream cheese. Toast is quite portable, and you can eat it on the way to your car or the bus stop. Add a piece of fruit such as a banana or apple.
2) scramble an egg in the microwave (beat it with a fork, add a tablespoon of milk, and a teaspoon of butter, a sprinkle of salt and pepper) for about a minute, then put it between 2 slices of bread (butter optional) and run
3) keep a stash of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge along with cut up fruit
4) you can prepare steel cut oats ahead of time, and dish up a portion and heat it in the microwave (better than instant oatmeal). Sprinkle some fruit on top and voila! You can add peanut butter or chopped nuts to the oats for protein.
5) there’s always the old stand-by of cold cereal with milk and berries. I don’t find this quite as filling, but it will do in a pinch.
6) smoothies are great and you can put them in a travel mug and go
What is your favourite go-to breakfast when you are hungry and in a hurry?